Connection Sporadic

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Connection Sporadic

Postby djones1415 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:18 am

Is there a trick to having the app work every time?

It seems to have particular difficulty if I use in the house (connected via WiFi) and then I leave and connect over the Internet (coming directly into router with port opened). Sometimes it works just fine - even if I just connected over WiFi, sometimes I have to "tap" to resync, sometimes it can't resync until I "Stop" it and then turn off my iPhone 5. Works after that. And sometimes it behaves similarly even when I have not left the house, i.e. have stayed connected on WiFi the entire time.

And then sometimes the app just closes itself out.

I thought maybe a user manual would explain what exactly the app does when trying to connect so I could figure out what to do to fix this. I thought maybe resyncing every time before trying to issue a command might help, but that doesn't seem to.

And, like I said, sometimes the app connects and works just fine.

I haven't yet stumbled on to a procedure that keeps the app stable and connects consistently. Is there one?

Thanks
djones1415

Re: Connection Sporadic

Postby AdminWes » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:40 am

Hi djones1415,

Connections over cellular back to your home have many moving parts that all need to line up for it to work. What we see is that the phone will lose Wi-Fi when leaving the house and then attempt to find and use the nearest cell tower's data connection. In our testing we've seen that the phone can have a cell signal, but not a data signal for up to several minutes as the phone works to get this established. Particurially in weak cell reception areas.

Try this, next time you leave your home, use Safari first to go to your favorite web sites to confirm that everything is working as it should before launching MobiLinc on cell.

You shouldn't have to re-sync with your ISY unless you made majoe changes to your ISY configuration. If MobiLinc isn't connecting (Red Circle at the bottom) then there's a data/connection issue getting back to your ISY.

Another thing to try is our MobiLinc Connect cloud service. We created this to solve many connection problems such as ISPs blocking or double filtering home connections. Your ISY and MobiLinc connect at our server level to exchange information thus eliminating many of the connection issues that folks see. To get started go to My Settings->Lighting Controller->Host Type and select MobiLinc Connect. Create a new account and follow the directions.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby djones1415 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:50 am

Wes
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I'm aware of the MobiLync service. I'd like to avoid yet another $5 / month charge, and I'd like to avoid another server having my stuff somewhere on it.

I just tried again after reading your post. I have internet service (tried the Safari as you suggested.) My settings haven't changed (https, port, etc.) And I haven't changed anything on the ISY this morning - so good to know I don't need to resync.

Still...Mobilinc isn't showing status for any scene or device. And the light at bottom is green. So I go to the Lighting Controller page and "tap" to sync with ISY. Immediately the bottom light turns red, I tell it to update only (have tried "download all" as well), the "syncing with ISY - Retrieving Configuration" screen pops up with swirling circle, the bottom 'light' turns green, and the circle swirls for a minute or two, and then "Network Error - There was a problem sending the request. Error Code: 0. The request timed out." message.

I read on here somewhere something about a 2048-bit cert. Don't know what that is, so I don't think I've installed one.

I am sure I have internet connect, I'm sure my router settings are good and that the port is being forwarded (this setup works *some* times), and I'm sure the ISY is responding. Something in the app is leaving something in memory or trying to connect via a wrong path, or something...

Any other suggestions?
Thanks again...great app..I just wish it was consistent.
djones1415

Postby AdminWes » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:15 am

Verify your device is on Cellular and use Safari to connect to your ISY's HTTPS address.

IE:
https://72.50.50.1

or if you have a different port like 4000 set for https:
https://72.50.50.1:4000

Replace 72.50.50.1 with your actual external IP address. You should get a log in prompt.

Does that work? My guess is that it will not connect. So, take a look at the ISY's IP and verify that the port forward rules are correct in the router. If everything still looks correct, try connecting to your ISY with a PC to the https:// address.

If that does't work, then reboot the ISY and verify you are using the latest ISY official firmware.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby djones1415 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:40 pm

Ok. Will try all of that.

I guess what I don't understand is how the problem could be anything related to settings, IP address, port forwarding rules, or ISY firmware since the MobiLinc app works just fine *some*times with current settings, IP address, port forwarding rules, and ISY firmware - connects, controls, reports correct status. It works, then it doesn't, then it does, then it doesn't.

On the app Lighting Controller screen:
1) What does "UUID of ISY - SYNCING" mean?
2) What does the "Auto Sync over Wi-Fi" and "Auto Sync over Cellular" control?

Thanks
djones1415

Postby arw01 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:50 pm

I know at home, when using my phone for talking to my isy via the wi-fi signal, that walking just out of range of the wi-fi signal causes the phone to not have any signal for many tens of seconds. The wifi is still out there, but too weak to connect and work, but the phone doesn't drop it completely and tries to keep the wifi over the cellular.

I would try turning off your wifi on the phone, wait a couple of minutes, verify the web is still working with the browser and then try it again with mobilinc.

And if you pay yearly $29.99 your cost per month is 1/2 of $5.00. I would say your frustration is worth $2.50..
arw01

Postby AdminWes » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:06 pm

I know at home, when using my phone for talking to my isy via the wi-fi signal, that walking just out of range of the wi-fi signal causes the phone to not have any signal for many tens of seconds. The wifi is still out there, but too weak to connect and work, but the phone doesn't drop it completely and tries to keep the wifi over the cellular.

That's exactly right. I'd like to eliminate this as a possible problem. That's why I'd like to know the Safari-HTTPS test to see how that works.

1) What does "UUID of ISY - SYNCING" mean?

This is what is left over from the app failing to connect to your ISY. This will display during the sync operation or if it fails, the app doesn't clear this until a successful sync happens.

2) What does the "Auto Sync over Wi-Fi" and "Auto Sync over Cellular" control?

This tell MobiLinc under what conditions it should do a complete download and update. By default every time MobiLinc starts on Wi-Fi it will download the complete ISY setup and update itself with new or deleted items from the ISY. If this is turned off, MobiLinc will only gather status. No updates. I'd recommend turning this off once your setup is solid. It will result in faster load/status times. Especially on cell connections.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby djones1415 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:41 pm

Wes:

Thanks for sticking with me on this.

The ISY reboot fixed the problem.

I have learned that the ISY often takes a long time to finish an operation. Even now, the "Success" message comes to MobiLinc about one minute before the "SYNCING" is replaced with the UUID. So maybe when I first got the ISY I launched several operations on the ISY before the last one was finished. Maybe that caused some problem that the reboot fixed.

I've tested going back and forth from WiFi to cellular and back again - even without closing the MobiLinc app. All with no problem. Very nice.

Thanks again.
djones1415

Postby AdminWes » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:01 am

Excellent. That was my suspicion was that the ISY needed to be rebooted. If you aren't using the latest official firmware, 3.2.6, I'd recommend updating.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby GeorgeRode » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:53 pm

I have the same problem of my MobliLink HS going away, green light is on. It will come up this same, Network error, code 3 ect. No communication. Put in my local 172.16.0.107 in Safari on my iPhone 4s and it works fine, this is when I cannot connect through MobliLink HS
My ISY is updated to 3.3.10. I have tried to reboot my ISY, it seemed that use to work but the only way I can this to work is to reboot my cable modem and Cisco ASDM VNC server along with my ISY and then it will work for a while but will stop working. My Cisco has a license for 50 devises so don’t think it is that.
Any ideas, driving me batty.
GeorgeRode

Next

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments