Mobilinc pro will not sync

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Mobilinc pro will not sync

Postby firebladeRR1k » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:46 am

Every once in a while I run into a situation where Movieline will not sync. It acts like I cannot connect to the isy at all. I am running the latest beta firmware on the isy994. One thing I suspect may be the issue is I have ddns configured for secure external access and the port forward is taking a port (not 443) and forwarding it to 443. While on my LAN my providers modem will not allow me to access the port forward on the wan. So basically while on the LAN I have to use the local ip for the isy via http. I think the different wan port and the wan DNS not being accessible is causing problems for mobilinc. I have verified I can access the isy via safari and the isy responds with the web ui and allows me to log in.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks,
Chris
firebladeRR1k

Re: Mobilinc pro will not sync

Postby AdminWes » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:00 pm

Hi Chris,

Your setup sounds normal to us. IE this is fairly typical where you cannot use your DDNS while inside of your network.

What sounds like is happening is that MobiLinc is unable to see your ISY on your local network and tries to connect via your external DDNS which then fails. If the following is true then MobiLinc should be able to see your ISY:

- Your mobile device is connected to the same router as your ISY (same Wi-Fi network).
- Nothing on your network blocks UPnP.
- MobiLinc->Settings->Lighting Controller is setup with both a valid local IP/port and external IP/DNS/port and the connect method is set to "Auto".

Also, please check that you are using MobiLinc version 4.00.21 (latest for iOS, 2.0.1 for Android).

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby firebladeRR1k » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:46 am

Everything does sound correct. I don't have anything actively blocking upnp but My modem does not support upnp. Most of the time the configuration works but when it doesn't it won't clear itself no matter what I reboot (phone, isy, modem,...). I'm running the latest beta isy firmware and latest mobilinc pro. I had this problem extensively with a prior release of mobilinc but an update seemed to take care of it most of the time.

It seems to mostly happen after a sync/status has failed. I have seen it get the status of devices but hang on programs status and then fail sync from then on for quite a while. I can reboot the isy and the phone and no change.

During these times I can verify the isy is responding by accessing the ip via safari. It lets me login and pulls up devices and programs. I have even tried running programs via the web ui with no issue but mobilinc still could not connect.

Thanks,
Chris
firebladeRR1k

Postby AdminWes » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:09 am

I had this problem extensively with a prior release of mobilinc but an update seemed to take care of it most of the time.

Just so you have all the info, the auto-discovery code in MobiLinc hasn't changed in over 3 years which tells me that there's something else happening in your setup preventing auto-discovery (UPnP).

MobiLinc shouldn't hang on program status during a sync, since it is, then that indicates there is something really wrong going on here. It's possible the program list from the ISY is corrupted in a way that is unexpected to MobiLinc.

Please try the following:
- Delete MobiLinc off your iOS device.
- Reboot your iOS device.
- Open the ISY's Admin Console from a PC/MAC.
- Go to the Admin Console->Programs tab and verify that there are NO pending writes that need to happen to your programs. IE click the "Save" button and confirm everything is saved.
- Run a few programs and verify that they run correctly and status is reflected in the Admin Console.
- Go back to your iOS device and redownload MobiLinc from the App store and run.
- Sync with your ISY and confirm everything works correctly.

Just FYI: The ISY's web interface is not a good test. This is a wholly different interface that MobiLinc does not use. The better test when checking out your ISY is the Admin Console from a PC/MAC.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby firebladeRR1k » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:03 am

Thanks I will try these this weekend. One of the things I really love about the new mobilinc is the dashboard, I will need to take screenshots of how I have it configured so I can get it back the same way after reinstalling mobilinc.
firebladeRR1k

Postby MFBra » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:14 pm

HI,

I'd like to check how is this supposed to work, my scenario :

1) at home : connecting to ISY's port 80 and local address
2) remote : connecting to port xxxx being redirected to Isy's 443 port

both scenarios works, but not sure how long the is timeout to switch from HTTP->HTTPS (doubt 1) and if I have geofence (or beacons in the future) and leave my wifi, how long it will take to change to https and is this time required going to affect the geofence and beacon variable substitution in my ISY ?

when the opposite happens, leaving from HTTPS to HTTP is faster ?

Thanks in advance
MFBra

Postby AdminWes » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:07 pm

Hi MFBra,

The condition that causes MobiLinc to switch is based on the active data connection to the internet. So, when the phone switches from Wi-Fi to cell or back to Wi-Fi from cell MobiLinc re-evaluates the network conditions and chooses the best path to connect. If on cell or a remote Wi-Fi source, MobiLinc will use HTTPS. If MobiLinc "sees" your ISY via UPnP then MobiLinc uses HTTP.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby MFBra » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:42 pm

Hi Wes,

It's actually working, but when I move from or to my house I notice a delay to reconnect. I'm wondering if this delay will impact the geofencing ability to change variables in the ISY.

Thanks.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
MFBra

Postby AdminWes » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:11 am

It could. Please be aware that iOS only gives MobiLinc less than 3 minutes of background operation time to do any work on a geofence trigger.

If your geofence trigger is on the boundary of your Wi-Fi network (100-150 meters), then this could cause an issue as the phone lost Wi-Fi, but takes some time to transition over to cellular. Meanwhile MobiLinc is trying to update a variable with no network connection.

While the above should resolve itself in time, it would be better to set the geofence boundary to a range where you know you have good cell service so that when the boundary crossing happens, the cell data signal is already in place to handle MobiLinc's variable update request.

300 meters or more should be enough range.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments