Correct way to use a Fanlinc?

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Correct way to use a Fanlinc?

Postby mwareman » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:18 am

Hi,

I have a fanlinc hooked up to the ISY.

Currently - I have 4 scenes as follows:

Code: Select all
'Family Fan - Off'
  Fanlinc - Off (responder)
  KPL6 - Family - C - On (Responder / Controller)
  KPL6 - Family - D - Off (Responder)
  KPL6 - Family - E - Off (Responder)
  KPL6 - Family - F - Off (Responder)

'Family Fan - Low'
  Fanlinc - Low (responder)
  KPL6 - Family - C - Off (Responder)
  KPL6 - Family - D - On (Responder / Controller)

'Family Fan - Medium'
  Fanlinc - Medium (responder)
  KPL6 - Family - E - On (Responder / Controller)

'Family Fan - High'
  Fanlinc - High (responder)
  KPL6 - Family - F - On (Responder / Controller)

This appears to work very well in the house. All KPL lights stay in sync with the fan status - and I can switch 'ON' any scene to cause all lights to change on the KPL at the same time the fan starts at the desired setting. (I even have IFTTT able to turn the fan to any setting via my CAO gadgets 'Kumoapps' account - and the KPL lights show correct status). This is the 'ISY' recommended way (according to the GUI) of doing KPL button grouping. They do NOT recommend grouping buttons on the KPL itself. I do not know why...

Now - the problem exists in Mobilinc in the way it interpolates the scene status for these scenes (something that ISY does not do for exactly this kind of reason).

When the fan is 'Off' - Mobilinc reports the 'Family Fan - Off' scene as 'Off' - but the other three scenes as 25% (which is bogus! - It's seeing the KPL6 - C button as one of 4 'responders' within the scene as 'ON' - and assuming 25% for the scene overall - an incorrect assumption).

How do I tell Mobilinc that the ONLY scene device to look at for status is the fanlinc itself - not the 'responder-only' KPL buttons?

I primarily use Android mobilinc - but I've also verified this on an iPad using Mobilinc HD. Same issue on both.

Thanks!

Michael.
mwareman

Re: Correct way to use a Fanlinc?

Postby AdminWes » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:37 am

Hi Michael,

What you've observed is exactly how we designed scene status. Any device that's reporting an ON level inside of the scene MobiLinc uses to calculate an overall percentage of the scene ON. The 25% scene isn't technically OFF nor is it ON. It's somewhere in between because of that KPL member reporting ON.

We understand why UDI has opted to not try to solve this problem. There are so many ways folks think about how their scenes to report it's impossible to create one solution for all. However, we recognized that for the vast majority of users we could come up with an approach that solves how most people use scenes.

One possible solution we may introduce is the option in MobiLinc to use explicit scene status. Meaning, the devices would all have to match exactly the scene ON levels to be considered on. Every other status would drive the scene status OFF. This would solve your scenario, but you'd lose scene percentages in lighting.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Re: Correct way to use a Fanlinc?

Postby mwareman » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:00 am

How about an option next to be each scene member responder 'Consider this device for scene status?'
Default it to 'Yes' so current functionality is unchanged (lighting scenes still work as they do today), but we would be able to go in and change to 'No' devices that should not be considered?

Maybe also a 'Status Reverse' option (so the 'Fan Off' scene shows 'On' when the fan is off).

Thanks!
mwareman

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments