Cellular data usage spike

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Cellular data usage spike

Postby grossmd » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:53 pm

I am using mobi-linc pro and have experienced a sudden surge in data usage for the app. Today my ios reports the app used close to 1/2 a GB in 6 hours . I have not made any recent configure changes and have never come close to this kind of data utilization before. My monthly plan is only 2gb and I have nevr gone over so I know something has majorly changed but can't figure out what. Verizon is my carrier and I have not been roaming.
grossmd

Re: Cellular data usage spike

Postby AdminWes » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:24 am

Hi grossmd,

When looking at the data usage in the iOS Settings app, keep in mind that this is total since the last time the data statistics were reset and not in any given billing period. For example, I looked at my personal use of MobiLinc HD on the phone I use for development and see that since September of last year MobiLinc HD has only used about 500MB of cell data over 6 months. Keep in mind that this includes daily testing and development activities on the app including intense video streaming over cellular testing I perform.

Can you select the option on the Settings page in iOS to reset your data use statistics and observe MobiLinc and other apps cell usage?

Also, do you have any IP cameras setup in MobiLinc? If you are on the single camera page in MobiLinc and background MobiLinc, if the camera is setup in MobiLinc to continue streaming in the background, MobiLinc will continue to stream the camera on Wi-Fi/cellular. If on cellular, streaming is limited to 10 minutes before timing out.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby grossmd » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:42 am

Thanks for the response. I did actually reset the data and had usage exceeding 200mb in just a couple of hours. I do have 8 cameras set up in the program but did not view any of them during this test period
grossmd

Postby grossmd » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:59 am

Also, don't see any streaming options on camera settings. I did note background audio button was on for all cameras so I have disabled this and will test later today.
grossmd

Postby AdminWes » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:44 pm

The background audio option will only take effect if you exit MobiLinc when in the single camera view. Then MobiLinc will stay connected to your camera on cellular/WiFi to stream audio. If on cellular, this should only last 10 minutes.

Something else I would highly recommend trying is to force close MobiLinc and reboot your phone. Then, reset your statistics, and monitor again. Also, if there are any iOS updates available, please update your iOS to the latest as well.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby grossmd » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:31 pm

So today after shutting off background audio mobilinc only used 1.6 mb leading me to think that option was responsible. I'm going to try your suggestions as well and out of curiosity reactivate audio option tomorrow and see if I start bleeding data again.
grossmd

Postby AdminWes » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:12 pm

Thanks, please let me know how it turns out for you.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments