Alexa

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Alexa

Postby RRoyceus » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:36 am

My wife gave me an Alexa for Christmas. I like that it is always on and waiting, but disappointed that it would not work with my ISY. I went to the ISY forum and saw that UDI was working on a version 5, then reading about it, saw it would be basically just like Mobilnc. Then I remembered that MobiLinc already has voice control for several years, but I had never used it. I tried it today and I like that it works with every device and scene.

Are there any plans to offer an Alexa plugin for MobiLinc?
RRoyceus

Re: Alexa

Postby mwareman » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:31 pm

RRoyceus wrote:My wife gave me an Alexa for Christmas. I like that it is always on and waiting, but disappointed that it would not work with my ISY. I went to the ISY forum and saw that UDI was working on a version 5, then reading about it, saw it would be basically just like Mobilnc. Then I remembered that MobiLinc already has voice control for several years, but I had never used it. I tried it today and I like that it works with every device and scene.

Are there any plans to offer an Alexa plugin for MobiLinc?

ISY does work with Alexa via the 'ISY Portal' add-on. Be aware though, if you currently subscribe to 'Mobilinc Connect' then adding the portal will disable this - they are mutually exclusive. As far as I know, there is no integration between Mobilinc and Alexa directly.
mwareman

Postby AdminWes » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:11 pm

Hi folks,

Not yet, but we're actively working this. There's been quite a lot of demand for Echo integration and we're working to get this added.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby RRoyceus » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:53 pm

Reading through the ISY forums, it is correct that you lose the MobiLinc portal if you enable the ISY portal, but you can still use MobiLinc by setting up Mobilinc to use the IP address instead of the Mobilinc portal.

Before I try it, I am curious which Mobilnc features we will lose by doing so such as geofencing and MobiLinc voice control.
RRoyceus

Postby mwareman » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:27 pm

RRoyceus wrote:Reading through the ISY forums, it is correct that you lose the MobiLinc portal if you enable the ISY portal, but you can still use MobiLinc by setting up Mobilinc to use the IP address instead of the Mobilinc portal.

Before I try it, I am curious which Mobilnc features we will lose by doing so such as geofencing and MobiLinc voice control.

Yes. I lost Mobilinc Connect when I added the portal. You can configure Mobilinc to use the ISY Portal instead - and this appears to work very well. Or you can point Mobilinc directly at the ISY, but SSL is very slow if you do this.

I think you would lose any Connect specific features. I think (for IOS users) this is push notifications - but might also be geofencing. I'm not sure. However, as an Android user I never had geofencing or voice control via Mobilinc anyway. I do those things with Tasker instead, and use Pushover for notifications (with the ISY Network module).

Michael.
mwareman

Postby AdminWes » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:27 pm

Hi RRoyceus,

MobiLinc does not officially support the ISY Portal.

For direct IP connections vs. MobiLinc Connect you'll need to manage all your own network settings for local and remote access. If you've installed a custom SSL cert (not the default) then remote access speed could be slower than you'd prefer. There is no speed issue with the default SSL cert for remote access and direct IP.

If you have an iOS device you'll also lose push notifications and access to the Today View widget ($19.99 without MobiLinc Connect).

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby Gee » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:13 am

( not sure who I have more contempt for Mobilinc or UDI )

I wanted to utilize my Alexa.

I didn't want to have to go through a computer programing course, an IT/Network Management course, 25 hours of reading and research, or throw money into a trash can. I just wanted to try the Alexa with my Insteon crap that I have senselessly thrown money at.

To reiterate, I'd like to use my Alexa.

So I found UDI's Wiki https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY_Portal_MobiLinc_Configuration that implies that Mobilinc will work with UDI's $49-every-2-yrs "ISY Portal" (did I mention that I paid somebody money to get the "Portal Integration -Mobilinc Connect" that I'll now have to trash if I want to use Alexa ? ) and I've found this thread I'm now posting to.

And thus, my question is:

Before I throw away my $49 dollars (and trash my Mobilinc Connect $$) Will my Android Moblinc PRO app on my phone still work (as it now sort of does) with the "ISY Portal" if I follow the steps in UDI's wiki sited above ?

PS: I am marginally capable of Port Forwarding and monkeying around with various router settings if required but UDI's wiki makes it seem as if this sort of technical exercise won't be necessary ? And as far as SSL certificates and so forth, I don't really care if the Russians or that punk nextdoor turn my lights on and off just to F with me :roll:
Gee

Postby AdminWes » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:29 am

Hi Gee,

MobiLinc Connect works great with Alexa: http://mobilinc.com/features/echo/

No need for ISY Portal or having to give up MobiLinc app access to your ISY.

MobiLinc does not support ISY Portal since that is not our product. We built MobiLinc Connect 4+ years ago to solve local/remote access and make it dead easy to use with our MobiLinc apps. Alexa support was added in early 2016 for our MobiLinc Connect users.

If you have questions, please contact us at: support@mobilinc.com

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby Gee » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:39 am

Thanks Wes.

I will pursue the link you've supplied.
Gee

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments