GeoFence inconsistency

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

GeoFence inconsistency

Postby miataguy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:03 pm

It used to be pretty reliable, but now GeoFence works sometimes and not others. Today, for example, I left my house, and it still indicated that I was home, even though I was 15 miles away all morning. Yet I also run another app (Alarm.com) which correctly notified me that I crossed out of the home area. Mobilinc GeoFence worked fine yesterday, but not today. Alarm.com app GeoFence worked fine both days.

Any thoughts on what could be going on?
miataguy

Re: GeoFence inconsistency

Postby AdminWes » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:20 am

Hi miataguy,

MobiLinc responds to iOS telling it that the geofence has been crossed. Why iOS isn't telling MobiLinc, we don't have visibility into. Have you see and worked through the website guide on troubleshooting suggestions?
http://mobilinc.com/features/geofence/

Also, are you using a direct IP address to your ISY or MobiLinc Connect?

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby miataguy » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:35 am

Not using a direct IP.

I looked at the troubleshooting, but almost all of them focus on issues when it never works. Mine actually does work. Just inconsistently.
miataguy

Postby AdminWes » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:27 am

Thanks miataguy,

Just to rule out connection or service issues, are you using MobiLinc Connect or the UDI version of their portal?

If MobiLinc Connect, did you turn on the location notification for boundary changes? If so, is this what you are looking at for boundary state changes? This notification will fire as soon as iOS tells MobiLinc that the iPhone is inside or outside of the geo-fence.

One thing to try is to adjust the radius of your geofence from 100 meters to 200 or 300 meters. The key here is to line the boundary in an area where there are other Wi-Fi spots (neighborhood) so that iOS has a good way to detect when you cross the boundary.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby miataguy » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:50 am

AdminWes wrote:Thanks miataguy,

Just to rule out connection or service issues, are you using MobiLinc Connect or the UDI version of their portal?

I use Mobilinc Connect I believe. That's the one where we pay a subscription fee, right? I didn't know there was more than one option.
If MobiLinc Connect, did you turn on the location notification for boundary changes? If so, is this what you are looking at for boundary state changes? This notification will fire as soon as iOS tells MobiLinc that the iPhone is inside or outside of the geo-fence.

I don't use the notifications. I know of the boundary changes by looking at the state variable. If it didn't change, I know it didn't fire.
One thing to try is to adjust the radius of your geofence from 100 meters to 200 or 300 meters. The key here is to line the boundary in an area where there are other Wi-Fi spots (neighborhood) so that iOS has a good way to detect when you cross the boundary.

Wes

I have it set to 500m. But I don't think that has anything to do with it since I've been 17 miles away and the variable didn't change state.
miataguy

Postby AdminWes » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:57 pm

Hi miataguy,

MobiLinc isn't compatible with the UDI portal since it's not our product which I why I wanted to confirm which one your were using.

For the radius, double-check and make sure that the edge of the boundary is in a location where there is a high likelihood that there are Wi-Fi hot spots like homes in a neighborhood. If iOS misses the boundary crossing the next opportunity is on cell tower handoff which would be miles away.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby miataguy » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:53 am

So it happened again this morning. Left the house to go to the gym, and the fence rule at 500m didn't fire. The gym is about 3 miles away. Came home 90 minutes later, and it triggered that I crossed into the boundary.

Any other ideas?
miataguy

Postby AdminWes » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:42 am

Hi miataguy,

Try turning on boundary notifications for the geofence so that you can track if iOS isn't even telling MobiLinc about the boundary crossing or if the issue is trying to reach the ISY over cell data instead.

The notification fires as soon as iOS tells MobiLinc the boundary has been crossed.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby miataguy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:47 am

AdminWes wrote:Hi miataguy,

Try turning on boundary notifications for the geofence so that you can track if iOS isn't even telling MobiLinc about the boundary crossing or if the issue is trying to reach the ISY over cell data instead.

The notification fires as soon as iOS tells MobiLinc the boundary has been crossed.

Wes

I did that. The notification did not fire.
miataguy

Postby AdminWes » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:02 am

Thanks miataguy,

I'm assuming then that the notification did fire when you got home. If that's the case, I really don't know what else you can try. iOS simply didn't tell MobiLinc that the device crossed a boundary.

If you've lined up the boundary in a neighborhood then there's nothing else that I know of that you can try to increase the reliability. The only other thing to try is to adjust the boundary line so that it crosses through a different neighborhood on the off chance that Wi-Fi hotspots may be stronger or different in a different neighborhood.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Next

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments