Version 3 - locking up & crashing a lot!

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Version 3 - locking up & crashing a lot!

Postby marcx5 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:38 pm

I downloaded version 3 on my iphone 4 (latest software) and when using on my wifi, it's locking up a lot and crashing a lot. Very difficult to use now. Is there anyway to go back to the previous version??

I do like some of the new features, but this is almost unusable at times.

thanks.
marcx5

Re: Version 3 - locking up & crashing a lot!

Postby AdminWes » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:21 pm

Hi marcx,

Thank you for contacting us about the issue, and I apologize for any problems you are experiencing. If you don't mind I'd like to work through this with you to understand the issue and make any adjustments on my end if necessary.

Please try this first. Force close MobiLinc by double-tapping the home button, press and hold the MobiLinc icon till it shakes, and then tap the minus sign to force close MobiLinc. Restart MobiLinc and allow MobiLinc to fully start (all Program status is reporting). Attempt to use MobiLinc and see if you experience any of the crashing behavior. If you still have issues after this please look at the following:

Here are a few questions I have to understand what's happening:
1. When you say it's locking up and crashing a lot, are there steps you can perform to reproduce it? What are you doing at the time of the crash?

2. What ISY firmware are you running?

3. Would it be possible for me to connect to your ISY setup to see if there is something unique with your setup that is causing the issue? If possible, please contact me at wes@mobileintegratedsolutions.com
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby marcx5 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:28 am

Hi Wes,
thanks for your reply. I had already tried resetting mobile linc as you suggested and i even reset my iphone. the problem still occurs. i haven't found anything that reproduces it... although it seems particular bad on the favorites screen. sometimes the buttons work but often it will lock up on that screen or i will get one button pushed and then it locks. seems like it happens while transmitting or receiving data, but i'm not sure.

i don't have a problem with you connecting to my isy, although i should change the password first. or perhaps there is some file i can generate and email to you instead, if easier? with my stats?

i can call you via phone if easier to figure out that way. fyi: i didn't have any issue with the previous version (except for the autodetect... i had to always manually choose http or https, depending on if i was home or not home... and this issue remains too, but i can deal with that).

also, i am using the most recent version of ios, isy software, etc.

thanks,
marc
marcx5

Postby AdminWes » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:05 am

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your willingness to help debug the issue!

Please change your password and email me your ISY connection info to wes@mobileintegratedsolutions.com and let me know the following to best reproduce the issue here in the lab:

Which devices/scenes/programs do you have tagged as favorites?
Is there a device/scene/program that I can turn on and off to test for the lock up condition?

Over the phone is good at well if you'd like to go that route. I'm available at 6:00pm MST today.

The auto-detect not working is interesting. That tells me that something is getting in the way of the UPnP signaling between the ISY and MobiLinc. Is there anything unique about your network setup? For example is your set more complex than a wireless router with the ISY plugged into the back of the router?

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby AdminWes » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:04 am

For those reading this post, it appears that a subset of ISY users exposes a race condition in MobiLinc version 3.00.00. We are working to fix the issue and will release an update ASAP.

Thank you for your patience and I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you have any questions, please contact me at wes@mobileintegratedsolutions.com.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby ironroad » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:21 pm

Hey Wes,

While you're debugging this, could you please re-post the old version of the program?

This new version is truly a disaster for many of us. I'm sure you've seen the universally awful reviews that are popping up on the iTunes store. And honestly, even if this new version worked perfectly, I much preferred the clean look and simple, fast functionality of the last version.

Sorry to say all of this... I make stuff too, so I totally get your desire to improve and expand. But you've taken something many of us really depended on and replaced it with something new we didn't want.

Love your work, but please, at least for the time being, post up v2 on the Apple store so people can get up and running again. Thank you.
ironroad

Postby junkycosmos » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:04 pm

Hi Wes

Like many here I have been using your mobilinc for years with great success. Infact I have often though how it's been the one completely trouble free part of my setup. Sadly v3.0 has been a mess for me too. Consistant sluggish performance throughout often past usable
Scenes that only contain a single key pad linc button show status of on, both in summary and detail page
Regular crashes
Symptoms match your suggestion of a race condition tieing up resources.

I very much commend your team's effort over the years and also the sincerity your post noting you are at work on the issues. I would be happy to work with you over the phone, having you login and test to gather whatever info might help here.

Using an isy99ir pro on v3.14 (same issues were seen on v3.13)
have mobilinc 3.0.0 on iPhone3gs was on v 2.17 prior with no issues
have mobilinc 2.17 on ipad2, runs great with no issues
fairly substantial insteon setup with full variety of maybe 75 devices

Also as others have noted here I too would request temporialy making old version available. Not sure if it is a reasonable option with Apple's controls on apps and such or of timeline for your patch. I too have come to depend on your app and have noticed over past week how much I miss it.

Look forward to hearing of your progress.

Thanks
Junkycosmos
junkycosmos

Postby AdminWes » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:01 pm

Hi guys,

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. And yes, I do read the reviews and am sensitive to the feedback that MobiLinc is receiving.

We are very close to having an update ready to post to the App Store. Since Apple insists on performing a full review for every version submitted, we cannot simply revert to an old version without going through the approval process again. I ask that you hang tight and let the new update works its way through.

In the mean time, please try allowing MobiLinc to fully boot up (all spinning indicators have stopped) before navigating around the app. This seems to help with the race condition for those setups that are affected by this.

We are tweaking the scene status as well. As you know, UDI has not provided a scene status indicator as determining what scene status is a difficult job. We believe that defining what it means for a scene to be on and off is possible and ask that you help us through all the odd combinations of scene and the wide range of INSTEON devices to help define what it means to have a scene report on/off. Our first attempt came close, but there are some changes that need to be made.

Thanks,
Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby mozman » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:04 pm

Wes,

I have loved MobiLinc for almost 2 years now (I bought it back when it was called iLinc). However, Version 3 is a total dud, at least for me.

I have not gotten the app to startup - it shows the splash screen for about 10 seconds, and then returns me to the iPhone home page. I have tried closing the app completely (double tapping home button and closing MobiLinc), restarting the iPhone, all to no avail. (I even tried starting it 10 times in a row, as someone said that in their case, the app only started up every 6-8 times.) The previous version occasionally indicated that it timed-out while contacting the ISY, (I have a large installation - over 150 devices), but aside from freezing the screen for about 10 seconds, the previous version did work, even in such a 'timed-out' case.

Sorry to be another bearer of bad news - I really do appreciate all of the effort you have put in to this. When you get it cleared up, I promise I will write a review to that effect on iTunes. (I have held off for now - thought I'd grumble here first and give you a chance to clear it up.)

Best,
Moz
mozman

Postby AdminWes » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:09 pm

Hi Moz,

You have no idea how much we appreciate our customers and those that spend the time to contact us. We were tuned in instantly to the negative reviews and started our investigation. It turns out that folks with very large installs were most effected by the upgrade. We spent all last week re-writing some of our startup logic to streamline the start process and provide a smooth UI experience. Between the new ICON graphics, background syncing with ISY, and the real-time scene status calculations, MobiLinc was getting hit pretty hard in these large installs and the experience was degraded.

We worked with a few brave souls that contacted us and their help was invaluable this week which resulted in a brand new version being posted to Apple for review over the weekend. Apple typically takes about a week for approval. Please hang tight, it's going to get better soon.

Thank you for your long time support, and I apologize for the inconvenience the update caused. We really like the new features and hope you will too.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Next

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments