Version 3 - locking up & crashing a lot!

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Re: Version 3 - locking up & crashing a lot!

Postby mozman » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:20 pm

Wes,

Just got back from vacation, and had an opportunity to try out v3.01. Although the app now doesn't crash on startup, I am still very disappointed.

First and foremost, the app takes about two minutes to load (that's right, 120 seconds). It spends about 40 seconds caching all of my devices, then about 20 seconds just hanging there, and then about 50 seconds caching all of my scenes. Finally, the main screen appears, but this is just a teaser - it takes another 15-20 seconds before the screen is actually responsive. With the old version of MobiLinc, I used to be able to whip out my iPhone, and within 5 seconds, change the status of any light in my house. Now, I think it's faster for me to go to the basement, bring up the stepladder, climb it, and unscrew the bulb.

Even when the app is finally ready, it is painfully slow - it usually takes 15-20 seconds to bring up the contents of a folder of devices - even with only 3 devices in the folder. (The app takes a full 5 seconds just to switch from portrait to landscape mode when I twist my phone!) Furthermore, the app is still prone to frequent crashes. The app doesn't always go through the 2 minute startup sequence upon launch, but after a crash, it always does the time-sucking caching, making a crash even more frustrating.

Given how frustrating (and time consuming) my experience has been, I haven't spent a lot of time exploring the new features of version 3, but I can already state that the scene status indicator is a total flop - every scene always reports 'on' as its status, even if all of the devices are off (and even if I manually turn them off using MobiLinc).

Sorry Wes, but for me, v3.01 is still an unqualified "FAIL". In fact, I liked v3.00 better - it simply hung for 30 seconds and then crashed - saved me lots of time.
mozman

Postby AdminWes » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:52 am

Hi Mozman,

Right after we released 3.01 we started working on a better solution for very large setups. The 3.01 solution has two issues that is really exposed in large installations and what you are describing here is in line with what our internal testing is showing. We've been working hard since to implement another round of performance improvements to address this.

If you are interested I'd like to get you beta copies as we implement so that we know we are on the right track for a solution that will work in large installations such as yours. If you are willing (we'd really appreciate it) would you send me your UDID from your iOS device? The UDID is found by connecting your device to iTunes, selecting your device, and clicking on the serial number to change it to the UDID. Please email me that number to wes@mobileintegratedsolutions.com

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience. We are working hard to fix these issues.
Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby mozman » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:21 am

Wes,

I emailed you my UDID - glad to help if I can.

Again, thanks for you efforts.

Moz
mozman

Previous

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments