Thermostat advice...

Does MobiLinc report a string a numbers (x.x.x.x) for a device you own? Report it here!

Thermostat advice...

Postby Baketech » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:50 pm

We recently began using MobiLinc, and have been very happy with how it works with our ISY99 and IP cameras. Great application...kudos!

We currently have a Proliphix IP thermostat, but have been considering replacing it with either the Smarthome or Venstar unit for better integration with our Mobilinc/ISY setup.

Have done a bit of reading, but would like to hear any recommendations with respect to making this choice.

Thanks!
Baketech

Re: Thermostat advice...

Postby AdminWes » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:31 pm

Hi Baketech,

Thanks!

I can't make any recommendations either way. Both are supported in MobiLinc/ISY. I do know that there are some limitations to the kinds of HVAC systems that the wireless model supports. So, just make sure it'll support your system. The Venstar has been around longer and supports most types of HVAC installs.

If you go with the newer wireless thermostat, make sure you upgrade your ISY to the latest beta firmware to get support for the new wireless thermostat.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby Baketech » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:07 am

One feature that is important to us is the ability to control the fan via Mobilinc, and also via command from the ISY.

Do you know if either/both of these units support this?

Thanks again!
Baketech

Postby AdminWes » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:03 am

Hi Baketech,

Yes, the fan element is controllable by MobiLinc/ISY for both.
http://mobilincstore.com/thermostats.html

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby Baketech » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:47 pm

Appreciate the info... :thumb:

I've been browsing both the Venstar and Insteon units and am unclear about how you manage the programming.

Is the keypad the only way to do this, or do they have an internal webserver like my current Proliphix?
Baketech

Postby AdminWes » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:35 pm

You have a couple of choices:

1. If you want to setup your own custom programs you can do that through writing ISY programs to manage your thermostats. IE Turning them to COOL or HEAT based on your setpoints/time of day/etc.

This is a little deep for most users. The other option is:

2. Use the built-in thermostat programming like a traditional 1-Day or 7-Day programmable thermostat by setting the setpoints into the thermostat like a traditional programmable thermostat. That's how it works for the Venstar. My assumption is something like this is similar with the INSTEON branded thermostat, however, we don't have direct experience using it this way.

Neither are Wi-Fi or have built in web servers.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby Baketech » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:39 am

Thanks again for the information...very helpful.

Going into this, I was determined replace our existing IP T-stat with one that worked with Mobilinc (because we like the app so much) but only being able to program it via the keypad is more than a little disappointing... :(

Need to think on this a bit. Do you think Mobilinc will ever support other IP Tstats?

Thanks again for all the help.
Baketech

Postby AdminWes » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:06 am

It's possible, but doesn't fit well into our ISY integration/portal experience. We support IP Cameras this way (outside of the ISY/portal) because there was no other option.

Many of the IP Therms are not open to 3rd parties and they have their own web server access provided to customers instead. We would need to evaluate an open/supported IP Therm to see if it would fit well into MobiLinc.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby Baketech » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:57 pm

We access our Proliphix IP stat via a third party app, but both it's interface and funtion are poor as compared with Mobilinc... ;)
Baketech

Return to Device Support in MobiLinc