New user - Lite won't register devices

Does MobiLinc report a string a numbers (x.x.x.x) for a device you own? Report it here!

New user - Lite won't register devices

Postby GJJim » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:56 am

I'm a new user and have the lite version of Mobilelinc on my iPad. It connects with my ISY-99i (latest firmware installed this morning), but no insteon devices are detected or added when I try to use the My Devices setup. I have synced the app several times. My devices are entered with no forbidden characters in the descriptions, addresses are correct (xx.xx.xx), the operation seems to proceed then stops, no error message, just a blank list. I have attempted to register the devices with and without the device setup button pressed, the result is the same.

Any suggestions?
GJJim

Re: New user - Lite won't register devices

Postby AdminWes » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:59 am

Hi GJJim,

Can you send us a screenshot of your Admin Console page showing your device and folder list to support@mobilinc.com and we'll take a look?

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby GJJim » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:05 am

AFAIK there is nothing to show, it has an empty folder. After upgrading the firmware on my ISY-99i, I can no longer use the Java console on my Mac because it's running X.6.8 and Java 1.7 won't install. I can use a windows machine, but that will take some time to set up.
GJJim

Postby AdminWes » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:48 am

Do you have remote access setup for your ISY? If you do I could connect to it from our lab to see what's going on.

If you have remote access setup, and want to proceed with this method, please send me your connection information to support@mobilinc.com

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby GJJim » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:42 am

The Java console is no longer an (easy) option for me since I updated the firmware on the ISY. I thought the Mobillinc app could handle the management functions. Is that not the case?
GJJim

Postby GJJim » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:23 pm

I logged in from a Windows machine and the main difference is the discovery process generated error dialogs when I tried to add a device:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8qp8mppey8ud ... errors.pdf
GJJim

Postby AdminWes » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:54 pm

Did you place that ToggleLinc into Linking mode? All battery operated devices MUST be manually placed into linking mode before trying to link to the ISY/PLM otherwise you'll get that error.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby GJJim » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:57 pm

The togglelinc relay (2466S) is line powered. I enter the device address and description in Mobilinc, hit save, then press the setup button on the togglelinc. The LED flashes, Mobilinc says wait, but the process times out with nothing added to the device list.

This toggle switch works fine and it even responds to X10 commands. The ISY doesn't see it...
GJJim

Postby AdminWes » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:01 am

My apologies, I had read TriggerLinc, not Togglelinc. Yes, you are correct, it should work as you've described if the ISY can see it.

Since the ISY can't see it, you're looking at attempting to debug your INSTEON network to find out why communication to this device isn't working. Some things to think about or try:

- The PLM of the ISY must be plugged directly into an outlet. Do not use a powerstrip or UPS.
- How's the phase bridging in your home? Do you have dual-band devices installed on both phases of your home or are you using Access Points to bridge phases?
- Turn off everything you can turn off to eliminate potential sources of noise. Especially computers. If you aren't using FilterLincs to filter out computer noise, I HIGHLY recommend doing so.
- Lastly, can you move the ToggleLinc or move the ISY and PLM to try another plug outlet location?
- Does the ISY operate your other INSTEON devices ok?

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby GJJim » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:10 am

Last night i looked over the instruction flyers from the boxes and came across two serial cables. I didn't use the supplied cable because it was too short. Instead, I had the ISY connected to the PLM with a standard 4 m Ethernet cable (both boxes have 8-pin RJ45s).

When I substitute the cable supplied with the ISY (6 pin RJ one end, eight on the other), the console says my PLM may be defective. Did I fry the PLM by connecting it to the ISY with the wrong type of cable?
GJJim

Next

Return to Device Support in MobiLinc