Can't control device from favorite

Does MobiLinc report a string a numbers (x.x.x.x) for a device you own? Report it here!

Can't control device from favorite

Postby mrobles » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:00 pm

I have an insteon switchlinc dual band that I can't control from the favorite screen but if I go into the device I can turn it on or off. I replaced the switch but with the same results. I have ten other switches in this home and they all work fine.
I get a bad message error
Isy failed to process the request. Please try again.

It doesn't make sense since I can control by going into it.

Help
mrobles

Re: Can't control device from favorite

Postby AdminWes » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:21 pm

Hi mrobles,

If you are using icon controls to turn the light on or off, MobiLinc looks to see if there are any scenes that this device is a controller of. If there is a scene that the device is a controller of, MobiLinc will instead command the scene to turn on or off. If that scene no longer exists, then the ISY/MobiLinc will return this error message.

Going into the details of the device will command that device directly.

To rectify, MobiLinc needs to fully sync with the ISY to grab the latest copy of the current configuration. Please go to My Settings->Lighting Controller and tap the Sync button.

First Try "Update Only" and try the icon control again. If it still throws an error, then you'll have to select "Download All" which will do a complete internal database wipe and re-download of all your ISY data. Please note that under Download All, custom settings like favorites are removed from MobiLinc's configuration.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby mrobles » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:41 pm

Hi Wes,
Thanks for the quick reply

I did a download all but still can't control it.

?

Mike
mrobles

Postby AdminWes » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:48 pm

Hi Mike,

Check the Admin Console. Is that device a scene controller anywhere? If so, delete the scene and recreate it.

After recreating the scene, perform an Update Only or Download All sync with MobiLinc again to grab the latest changes.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby mrobles » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:53 pm

Wes,

Thanks
That took care of it.
mrobles

Postby AdminWes » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:59 pm

Excellent! Thanks for the follow-up.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby walkman9999 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi. I'd like ot resurrect this thread if possible. I have the "Bad Message" error on a single scene. IT happens on both iPad and iPhone. Other scenes work fine.

I've downloaded new config as suggested, but still have the problem. The scene contains many members and would like to fix without recreating if possible. Any other possible solutions?

Also, I can't really see how to post a new topic in this forum. I think I must be missing something obvious, but can someone let me know how to post new?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Disregard the "new post" problem, I found the button for new posts.
walkman9999

Postby AdminWes » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:58 pm

Hi walkman9999,

The Bad Message usually means that the "under-the-hood" ID number MobiLinc has for your scene doesn't match the ISY's actual identifier for that scene.

The solution is to get the correct details over to MobiLinc. You can do that a couple of different ways:
- Perform a sync and select "Update Only". This is what I'd try first, but more than likely won't solve the issue since it's impacting the fundamental ISY identifier for that scene.
- The next least invasive thing to try is to delete the scene with MobiLinc connected. If the scene doesn't disappear in MobiLinc, then perform an Update Only sync to get MobiLinc in sync with the ISY.
- Recreate the scene and sync MobiLinc again "Update Only" to get the scene back into MobiLinc.
- You could also create a whole new profile in MobiLinc or select "Download All" on the sync menu. However, both options will start fresh and you'll lose all the custom options you had setup for your devices, scenes, programs, etc.

Another option is to take an ISY backup, delete the scene, sync MobiLinc to get the bad scene removed, restore your ISY backup, and then resync MobiLinc. I'd be careful about this option because when removing the scene you'll need to restore your scene/devices that are impacted to get the link programming put back into place after the backup restore.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby walkman9999 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:29 pm

Thanks Wes. I'm trying those things in order. Will report back.
walkman9999

Postby walkman9999 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:10 am

Hi All,

I tried all three levels of sync to try to get problem scene to not report "Bad Message" error, but the error persists on both iPad and iPhone for this one scene. Just to review, I tried "update Only", "Download All" and then removed the scene, sync'd and and restored the scene from backup and sync'd again. Same results.

The one thing I haven't tried is to actually recreate the scene. It has a bunch of members and I've been trying to avoid that, but is that the recommended next step? Or is there some more troubleshooting I should try before I do that?

Thanks for any advice.

:Mike
walkman9999

Next

Return to Device Support in MobiLinc