Mobilinc running in the background?

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Mobilinc running in the background?

Postby Rad » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:36 am

With the Mobilinc app running on my iPAD2 (IOS 5), when I click the home button for the app to go to the background, it stops device discovery. I have SDM3 running on my PC and I can see discovery taking place as Mobilinc queries each device when Mobilinc is running in the foreground. As soon as i hit the iPADs home button, the updates in the SDM window stop, so I can see that Mobilinc is not doing it in the background.
When I bring Mobilinc back back to the foreground, it starts device discovery from the beginning again, it doesnt continue where it left off. I have 31 devices so this takes quite some time.

The thing is, I know Mobilinc used to continue discovery in the background before. I would work on other apps on my iPAD and I would see my SDM continue updating. I recall seeing this work correctly even after I upgraded to IOS 5. Any ideas?
Rad

Re: Mobilinc running in the background?

Postby AdminWes » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:26 am

Hi Rad,

I'm not sure what you may have been looking at in the past, but MobiLinc has never been able to poll for status in the background. In fact when iOS4 came out and supported the background mode I wrote code that would do exactly this. Apple refused to approve it because it wasn't voice or audio related and I was forced to remove this functionality before Apple would approve my iOS4 update over a year ago. Now when MobiLinc moves to background, MobiLinc stops whatever connection it is attempting to perform and goes quite.

What may have happened is with MobiLinc running and the display goes off, MobiLinc is still running in the foreground and can still poll for status with the display off. Or, do you have other software running in your setup that would be talking to the PowerLinc? Also, the PowerLinc will show you any traffic it receives on the PowerLinc. Could it be that there were INSTEON or X10 commands being issued when you saw SDM traffic with MobiLinc in the background?

31 devices for the PowerLinc and MobiLinc is quite a few for real-time status given the polling nature of the PowerLinc. If real-time status is important I'd highly recommend the ISY-99i as a solution. MobiLinc was written specifically for the ISY-99i and takes full advantage of the real-time status the ISY offers. No polling required.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby Rad » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:05 am

Wes, thanks for your prompt response as always.
I will monitor this again when I have the opportunity but this is what I saw last Friday. BTW, I upgraded to IOS 5 last Wednesday.
Was at the park with the kids, created a hot spot with my cell phone and connected my Ipad to it though Wifi.
Had an hour to blow so started playing with Mobilinc, Splashtop desktop and Splashtop cam. Launched mobilinc and it started polling my 31 devices. I could see it was going to take a while so I thought I would RDP to my home PC via Splashtop desktop. I had SDM running in the foreground on my home PC and when I connected via Spashtop, I saw SDM was updating. I then thought, wow, this is cool, this is the 1st time I have seen this. Thought it was realted to IOS 5 or the latest Mobilinc version that was just released.
I dont have any other apps that access SDM and no one was at home. I watched SDM poll until it stopped. I swithed back to Mobilinc on my iPAD and all 31 of my devices had a status.
So something happened that day to make this work, I wish I knew what. I tried yesterday but to no avail.
Was it just a strange fluke?
Also, if this is the way it is to be, is there any way to have it commence polling from the device it left off? When I was testing yesterday, each time I switched back to Mobilinc, it started polling the 1st device alphabetically so have to go through 31 devices every time I switch.

THanks
Rad

Postby AdminWes » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Hi Rad,

That is odd. I'll run some tests here to see why it would do that. I can't say I've noticed that behavior here. (It's not suppose to be able to do that in the background).

Right now MobiLinc on startup doesn't know the last time it got status, so it starts over from the beginning each time. It could be possible to build this logic into MobiLinc. How long is too long before it just starts over because the state of the lights are stale?

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby Rad » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:00 pm

Wes,
I can understand that mobilinc will start from the beginning to get a status of each device when the app starts, the problem is that when I put Mobilinc in the background (iPAD home button) and then come back to mobilinc, it starts scanning all devices from the beginning and not where it left off the last time before beign put to the background.
Rad

Postby AdminWes » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:03 am

Rad,

Yes, I understand the problem. If we build this logic in and MobiLinc comes up and picks up where it left off then some of your devices will be updated with current status and some will have old status that may or may not be accurate.

We felt that on startup it was better to wipe out all the current status indications and start over collecting status so that the user knows that the status displayed as MobiLinc gathers it is the most current status.

Now, it may be possible to build in a window buffer so let's say MobiLinc goes into background mode. If MobiLinc is rebalanced within 10 minutes it would just pick up where it left off. If outside of 10 minutes it would start over.

Would something like that work?

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby Rad » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:09 pm

Wes,
Actually when mobilinc comes back to the foreground, the status of the devices are not wiped. Whatever the status was of each devices before Mobilinc went into background mode still shows when Mobilinc comes back to the foreground.

Your suggestions sounds like a workable solution. Keep it mind, if coming back to mobilinc after 10 minutes, the status of each devices should be wiped and polling start all over.
Rad

Postby AdminWes » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:42 am

Hi Rad,

I agree. I'll add this request to our feature request list.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby sophiaabigail » Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:48 am

When running on the iPhone, MobiLinc HD looks and feels like MobiLinc Pro. Works with: ... Use your own images for Orchestrated MobiLinc's background.If voice control is left on when MobiLinc transitions to running in the background of your iOS device, iOS 192.168.l.254 will turn the top status display banner to the color ...MobiLinc X is a modern app for your ISY-994i controller built with speed, security, and your family in mind. Get started with a free 14-day trial! The process however is probably running in the background as . ... + z-wave module and setup Orchstrated Mobilinc on my iphone 7 recently.
sophiaabigail

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments