Invalid Address in MobiLinc HD

Submit feedback, comments, and support help here.

Invalid Address in MobiLinc HD

Postby jday » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:15 pm

I just purchased MobiLinc HD for my iPad and iPod Touch. The program works fine on my iPad, but there are problems with it on my iPod Touch. When I attempt to make any changes (i.e., manually add a device or change to a Module Friendly Name, etc) I get a error message that says "Invalid X10 Address. The X10 address entered is invalid. Use the format [A-P][1-16]".

My devices are NOT X10 devices, but Insteon modules. In fact, I identify them as "SwitchLinc Dimmer" on the Add Device/setup page, but it still gives me the "Invalid X10 Address" message. Yes, I am entering the valid Insteon ID in the correct format. The funny thing is this even happens when I try to change the "Module Friendly Name" of one of the SwitchLinc Dimmers that is showing up in MobiLinc. Of course, it is worse when trying to manually add a device because with the error, it won't even allow me to add a valid device. At least with the modules that were recognized through syncing it shows the devices but they are only identified by Insteon ID which is very confusing.
jday

Re: Invalid Address in MobiLinc HD

Postby AdminWes » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:02 am

Hi jday,

Can you walk me step by step what you are entering into MobiLinc?

Please do this first:
- Go to My Settings->Lighting Controller->Sync and select Download All

With a fresh sync in place, go to My Devices and select a device. Tap the Edit button. Change only the Friendly Name and tap Save. MobiLinc should save off the module with the new name.

Now go back to My Devices and tap the "+" button. Enter in your new SwitchLinc Dimmer info: Friendly Name, INSTEON address in this format: xx.xx.xx and leave the spinning wheel set to SwitchLinc Dimmer and tap save.

If you follow these steps does everything work as expected? If not, can you provide the steps and values you are using to enter into these fields?

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby jday » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:09 pm

Thanks for the reply. First, let me say that I have an older iTouch that's running iOS version 4.2.1 which according to your website should be fine.

In following your instructions below, the first thing I notice is that after the fresh download/sync MobiLinc only displays 2 devices in "My Devices". I have 5 currently set up that DO show up properly on my iPad.

I selected one of the 2 listed devices and then tapped the Edit button; changed ONLY the Module Friendly Name and tapped Save. The same "Invalid X10 Address" error message popped up. If I then it "OK" it just returns to the same edit screen and the only thing I can do is hit "Cancel".

As I said in my original message, I get this same message whether I'm trying to edit one of the devices that synced with SmartLinc or if I'm trying to manually enter one of the devices that did not sync. Anyway, once again I tried to follow your instructions to add (+) a new device and it doesn't work.

BTW, in addition to the iPad (which works fine), my wife has an iPhone 4S and MobiLinc HD works fine on it also. It's just my iPod Touch.
jday

Postby AdminWes » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:30 am

Hi jday,

Thanks for the details. There shouldn't be any difference on the iPod Touch from your other devices. Since it working fine on your other devices, I would suspect that perhaps the internal MobiLinc DB on the touch is somehow bad. Here are two suggestions to fix it:

1. Go to My Settings->Selected Profile and tap the "+" button to create a new profile. Setup your settings and sync to see if the iPod Touch will work correctly with your SmartLinc.
2. If that doesn't work, then I'd recommend removing MobiLinc by pressing and holding the MobiLinc icon till it shakes, tap the "x" to delete it and then re-download MobiLinc from the App Store. You can re-download your purchased apps by going to the App Store on the device->Updates->Purchased.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby jday » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:14 am

Wes,
I followed you additional instructions and still have the same problem. I first simply created a new profile and set up my settings. Again, during the sync, it only identified 2 of my 5 devices and when I tried to give them a friendly name, I got the same invalid X10 address error message.

I then uninstalled the MobiLinc program from my iTouch and redownloaded it from the App Store and went through the entire setup process with the exact same results.

It seems really odd that it thinks I'm trying to install an X10 module when all the devices are Insteon and won't even let me change the name of the 2 that are identified. The fact that all 5 devices are correctly identified and work with your program on both my iPad 2 and iPhone 4S really make this strange. The only thing I can think of is that your program isn't completely compatible with iOS version 4.2.1 on the iTouch.
jday

Postby AdminWes » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:17 pm

Hi jday,

It's possible, but I think there is something else happening. That code in question has largely been the same since iOS 3 was the latest OS available. It survived through iOS4 and now iOS5.

Have you tried rebooting your iPod Touch to see if that makes any difference?

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby jday » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:19 pm

Per your suggestion, I shut down the iTouch and restarted it but it didn't have any effect on MobiLinc HD. I think I'm ready to give up on it (the iTouch, not the MobiLinc). My iTouch is actually a 2nd generation model and this might just be the perfect excuse to upgrade to a 4th generation iPod Touch.
jday

Postby AdminWes » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:02 am

Hi jday,

Thanks for giving all these steps a try. Have you seen any other odd behavior with the iTouch in other apps or while using safari? Any strange network behavior or anything else that might give you a reason to suspect the iTouch?

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby jday » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:30 am

No, everything else still seems to work fine and I have almost 100 apps on it. It's only an 8GB model but still have over 2GB available.
jday

Postby AdminWes » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:19 am

Thanks.

One more question, on the devices you are attempting to rename where you get the error, what does MobiLinc report for the "Address" and "Type" rows under the device details?

Another troubleshooting step:
- Remove all your devices by going to My Devices and performing a left to right finger swipe over each device and tap delete.
- Remove All Devices.
- Force Quit MobiLinc, wait 10 seconds, and restart MobiLinc.
- Go to My Devices.
- Tap the "+" button to add in one of your INSTEON devices and see what happens.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Next

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments