Invalid Address in MobiLinc HD

Submit feedback, comments, and support help here.

Re: Invalid Address in MobiLinc HD

Postby jday » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:13 pm

Thanks for hanging with me. I went through the additional steps you listed. On the "Edit" screeen for the device I'm trying to rename the Address = 1B.34.1A and the Module Type = SwitchLinc Dimmer.

Then I deleted the two devices (out of 5) that showed up in MobiLinc when I synced with SmartLinc and tried to re-add one of them in and still have the same problem. After I enter the information and click "Save" I get the Invalid X10 Address error.
jday

Postby jday » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:09 pm

I did go ahead and bought a new 4th Generation iPod Touch today (again, MobiLinc was a good excuse) and I am able to setup and rename (with "friendly" names) all my devices on it without any problem. So, I've concluded it's the Generation 2 iTouch that was the problem.

I did find it interesting though that when I did the sync with SmartLinc it still only found 2 of my 5 Insteon devices. I had to manually add the other three. That might be more of an issue of my SmartLinc setup than MobiLinc.
jday

Postby AdminWes » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:10 pm

Hi jday,

Well, glad MobiLinc provided you the excuse you needed!

When syncing with the SmartLinc I've seen a number of things that can lead to the SmartLinc sending link records to MobiLinc that aren't readable due to various reasons. Sometimes a SmartLinc reboot fixes it.

Or, perhaps those devices are no longer linked to the SmartLinc for some reason and thus no longer appear in the SmartLinc link tables.

Back to the 2nd Gen iPod Touch, can you try one more thing for me? Try adding Two devices:
- For the first device, select "SwitchLinc Relay" from the Module Type spinner wheel and give it a valid INSTEON address. Tap Save and see if you get the error.
- For the second device, use the address of "A6" and select "X10 Switch" from the Module Type spinner. Tap Save and see if you get the error.

Thanks,
Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby jday » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:04 pm

Ok, I tried the 2 things you mentioned. On the first one (with a valid Insteon ID), I selected SwitchLinc Relay" and still got the "Invalid X10. I then tried it with EVERY module type option and got the same error. It is definitely looking for an X10 address regardless of what type (i.e. Insteon ID) of address is entered.

On the 2nd thing you mentioned, it DID allow me to enter a fictitious device using the "A6" and "X10 Switch" settings. It also allowed me to give it a friendly name.

I still think the oddest part of this whole thing is that even for the 2 Insteon devices that synced and show up (and are controllable) and have Insteon IDs. If I go to change the Module Friendly Name and don't touch anything else (address or module type) it still errors. Really wierd.
jday

Postby AdminWes » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:26 am

That is really strange. I'm looking at tracking down an iPod Touch with 4.2.1 today to try this scenario. I'll past back with what I find out.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby jday » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:20 pm

Wes,
I have some more information for you and an observation. First, the observation. I was reading through some of the older posts in this forum and saw one from November, titled "Where are the devices". I read through the thread between you and Stu and it sounds a lot like my problem. At the end of that thread, it appears that the problem was SmartLinc mis-identifying the types of devices. However, there was no mention there as to whether Stu's problem was fixed. If it was fixed, how was he able to get the SmartLinc to properly report the device type?

Now, more on my specific situation. I added another SwitchLinc Dimmer today and after syncing MobiLinc with SmartLinc, it does show up under My Devices so now 3 of my 6 devices show up. However, I still cannot rename them, I did notice that if I go to "Scenes" in MobiLinc HD on my old iPod Touch it shows all 6 scenes (one device per scene). Also, they include the "friendly" names that are in SmartLinc. So, it just appears that the DEVICES are the problem.
jday

Postby AdminWes » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:02 am

Hi jday,

We were able to track down an iPod Touch with 4.2.1 running on it and I was able to confirm what you are seeing on just this device running this particular version of the OS. It looks like there is an OS call that MobiLinc does that works different on this version of the OS versus iOS 3.x and iOS 5.x. We re-wrote part of this code to not use this OS call and now have it working for all OS versions.

Thanks for pressing this issue. We were unaware of this hidden problem with iOS 4.2.1 on the iPod Touch. The update will be included in the next release.

The problem that Stu was having was related to the separate HouseLinc software re-writing the link table entries of the SmartLinc overwriting critical device type information that MobiLinc needs to identify a device in the SmartLinc during syncing. Unless you are using HouseLinc and the SmartLinc, you shouldn't run into this problem.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby jday » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:33 am

Glad you found something and I'm not crazy. I look forward to the next update of the software and hopefully it will work for me since, yes, I use both HouseLinc and SmartLinc and basically set up everything in HouseLinc and let it make the links.

If you aren't very familiar with HouseLinc, the main advantage is that everything can be done from the computer and I don't have to run around the house hitting "set" buttons on the devices or anything else to program them. It also gives more flexibility of programming on and off times of devices (SmartLinc only allows one on/off time per device). If I always did everything from home, I probably would simply use HouseLinc, but I'm retired and we have an RV and travel alot. Therefore, I want the ability to that SmartLinc/MobiLinc gives me.

Thanks again for being persistant and even going to the trouble to find a Touch with 4.2.1 to be able to verify the problem. Great customer service!
jday

Postby AdminWes » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:27 am

No problem jday, I'm glad too that we found what the issue was.

We don't use the HouseLinc software as there is no 3rd party interface for it. Our choice for the advanced programming options and MobiLinc access is the ISY-99i. We like the ISY-99i not only for the 3rd party support but also because it is a stand alone device that has a very small physical and energy footprint and doesn't require a PC to be on to operate.

Since you are using HouseLinc, then yes, that's why you are seeing odd syncing behavior with MobiLinc. HouseLinc overwrites key device-type bits of data in the SmartLinc's device record table making the links into something that MobiLinc is unable to reverse-engineer into a valid link data record. Our recommendation is to add the device directly to MobiLinc or use the Scene controls.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby jday » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:15 pm

Thanks again for the reply. It's not a problem programming the MobiLinc manually for my devices. When I'm done with all my installations I will still only have 10-12 devices and once I set them up in MobiLinc once, I shouldn't have to do it again. Again, that is not a problem. The real issue was the problem with iOS 4.2.1 and not being able to add devices and it sounds like you have that figured out and the next update will solve that problem.
jday

Previous

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments