Worked fine - until I enabled MobiLinc Connect on my ISY

Submit your bug reports here.

Worked fine - until I enabled MobiLinc Connect on my ISY

Postby mwareman » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:33 pm

I have both MobiLinc PRO on Android and MobiLinc HD on iPad.

Both were working fine using a port forward in my router - but I wanted a more secure experience so I purchased the MobiLinc Connect option from ISY. What a mistake!

Now, on my phone (MobiLinc PRO for Android), all I get is 'Processing Profile Change' for a few seconds - then the app force closes ('Unfortunately, MobiLinc Pro has stopped'). If I click 'OK' - the screen returns to 'Processing profile change' and the whole thing keeps repeating.

I am using 1.1.6 on a Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.1 Jellybean) and an ISY (3.2.6). This was working 100% perfectly until I added the MobiLinc connect option to my ISY. I cannot seem to undo that module at all from the ISY - I seem stuck with it now.

HELP! I cannot us the app at all now from my phone. I cannot disable connect on the ISY either - the portal page is empty.

The solution continues to work perfectly from my iPad (MobiLinc HD 3.09.00) - either directoy or via Mobilinc Connect (I have two profiles set there) - it's just the Android solution that's broken.

Michael.
mwareman

Re: Worked fine - until I enabled MobiLinc Connect on my ISY

Postby AdminWes » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:29 am

Michael,

The message, Processing Profile Change, on Android is only related to loading the presets and static data from the internal database for a new profile and isn't related to a network connection problem to your ISY.

You absolutely can use both a port forward solution with Android and MobiLinc Connect with iOS.

Two things moving forward:
1. Tell me more about your port forward setup. The recommended way to do port forwarding is to pick a high number like 10443 and forward that to the ISY's secure port (default is 443). Do not forward port 80 or the unsecured port (HTTP) to your ISY.

2. Based on the message you listed below, my guess is that the internal database has gotten corrupted beyond recovery. Please go under the Android Manage App settings and clear the app data for MobiLinc Pro. After clearing the data, the next time you launch MobiLinc, MobiLinc will start up clean and will look for any ISY devices on your network to connect to.

We are working to bring MobiLinc Connect to Android so that you can eliminate all port forward configurations from your router for the ISY. As you pointed out, many of our customers are looking for a more secure option to connect to their ISY devices while away from home.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby mwareman » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:45 am

Hi Wes,

My ISY is configured to use a high port number for SSL - and this port is forwarded tot he ISY from the outside. This works perfectly from the iPad - and was working properly from android until I added the Connect module to the ISY.

I had to force the app to stop to stop the message coming up (Settings / Apps / MobiLinc / Force Stop).

I have tried 'Clear Data' to clear the database - when I start the application the exact same issue happens.

I have tried a 'Clear Data' followed by 'Uninstall'. I then re-installed from Google Play. As soon as I run it - the exact same issue occurs.

I repeated the above - but off my network at home (expecting to have to manually configure) - but the same issue happened.

I tried again - but this time rebooting the phone after the 'Force Stop' 'Clear Data' 'Uninstall'. After rebooting, I reinstalled. I get the 'Connection Error - No connection settings found' - good. I hit 'My Settings' and get a blank screen (except for the buttons at the base and status bar at top) - and the application appears frozen. All I can do is hit 'Home' (back does not work anymore). Then I get 'Unfortunately, MobiLinc PRO has stopped' with 'Report' or 'OK'. I hit 'OK' and get a dialog 'Connection error - No connection settings found'. Cycle continues.

Quite simply - I cannot use the application anymore on Android!

What should I try now?
mwareman

Postby mwareman » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:58 am

I will add that I'm having no such issue on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 where it appears to be working fine.

Could this be a Jelly Bean issue (Android 4.1.1 is running on my Galaxy Nexus - where Android 3.2 is running on my Galaxy Tab)?
mwareman

Postby AdminWes » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:41 am

Michael,

We've tested and have used MobiLinc on 4.1 JellyBean since it was officially released with no issues on MobiLinc 1.1.6.

How was your device upgraded to JellyBean? Did you cellular carrier push it or did you install it by some other means?

Did the update to 4.1 coincide with the issues you started seeing?

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby mwareman » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:26 am

It was an OTA push from Google (my carrier is not involved since it's a Nexus device - Google pushes updates directly).

No - the failure did not coincide with the push at all. It coincides with adding the 'MobiLinc Connect' module to my ISY. Since then - my Nexus has been stuck in this loop as described.

I also have a old phone I'm not using anymore (running Android 2.2) - I tried the app there and it works properly. It also works on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 - so that's why I'm asking the question about Jelly Bean.

As I've said - full removal and reinstall did not solve the problem - it just comes back when I run the app again after installing. Does the app store any data on the phone that is not being removed when I do a 'Clear Cache' or a 'Clear Data'. Is there anything else I need to remove?

Michael.
mwareman

Postby AdminWes » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:55 pm

Michael,

Just to close the loop on the MobiLinc Connect portal addition, what port number are you using for port forwarding? Other than possibly using the same port as the module, there really isn't a reason adding the portal module would only affect your 4.1 Android device.

Are you completely deleting the app off your device? If you clear the app data, that will get rid of the database, but the app remains intact. Can you try or confirm doing a complete app delete of MobiLinc and re-install? If that doesn't work let me know and I'll get you a non-market version of MobiLinc to try out to eliminate any Google Play issues.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby mwareman » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:43 pm

Wes,

I can confirm I deleted the cache, deleted the data and then uninstalled the app. I then rebooted my phone (just in case) and re-installed the app from Play.

When I start the app - I get the dialog that there are no settings. I hit 'Back' and the screen goes blank and the process seems to hang. After a couple of minutes with a blank screen - I get a force close dialog. After I kill the process - the setting dialog comes up - but something else is modal - I cannot click anything. I have to hit 'Home' then go into 'Apps' and kill the app to regain control of my phone again.

Michael.
mwareman

Postby mwareman » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:54 pm

OK - did something different now - and getting a slightly different result.

I 'Settings' 'Backup and Reset' I unchecked 'When reinstalling an app, restore backed up settings and data'. I then repeated the process, and when I started the app I got an authentication dialog for my ISY. It appears to work - I can control my devices.

HOWEVER - I need to add the secure port (in my case - it's SSL on port 5222). If I click 'My Settings' - the settings screen comes up for just a moment - then the screen goes blank (except for the status bar at the top and menu bar at the bottom) and the phone becomes unresponsive. If I let the display timeout and push the power button - the settings screen is there for just a moment (with a dialog 'Processing Profile Changes') - then the screen goes blank again. Then the app force closes again.

If I click 'OK' to 'Unfortunately, MobiLinc PRO has stopped' - the 'My Settings' dialog comes up again with 'Processing Profile Changes' and then another force close. This repeats over and over. The only way out is to kill the app from a task manager.

Michael.
mwareman

Postby mwareman » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:31 pm

Interesting - now my ISY is no longer listening on the non-HTTP port 80. I had to restart it!

Could this be an issue on my ISY causing a race condition in the app once the app connects?
mwareman

Next

Return to Bug Reports