Dimming percentage not working right

Submit your bug reports here.

Dimming percentage not working right

Postby zick » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Running Android 4.0.3 via HP Touchpad and latest version of Mobilinc.
No matter what percentage I set it to it will only dim by either 2 or 3 percent and it seems random.
zick

Re: Dimming percentage not working right

Postby AdminWes » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:52 pm

Hi Zick,

For scenes, that's true. Dimming percentages are controlled by the INSTEON tech for just scenes.This is not controllable by 3rd parties.

For direct devices you can set what the jump percent should be on Dim/Bright under:
MobiLinc->My Settings->MobiLinc Settings->Dim/Brt Interval.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby zick » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:00 pm

Hi Wes,

Thanks for explaining that, I did see you are correct. It does work correctly when dimming the device directly vs the scene via the Mobilinc application.

But when I create a Widget that is programmed directly to a device, the dimming doesn't follow what I have set in Mobilinc>My Settings>Mobilinc Settings>Dim/Brt Interval.
zick

Postby AdminWes » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi Zick,

That is correct. The reason is a technical limitation. The app is actually doing the percent dimming for you behind the scenes when in the real app. What MobiLinc does is it takes the current status and adds or substracts the dim/bright interval and then asks the device to go to that ON level. It appears like a bright or dim command was issues, but in reality it was just a calculated ON level command.

For Widgets, there's a severe limitation that prevents us from getting reliable status for your device in a quick manor due to how Widgets work. This means that we issue real bright/dim commands without looking at your device's status but that means the results is how INSTEON handles bright/dim...~3 percent at a time.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby zick » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:48 pm

Ok, thanks Wes.

Is there any possiblity this will be fixed in future releases?
zick

Postby AdminWes » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:51 pm

Hi Zick,

The problem is in the Android OS Widget implementation, not MobiLinc. This is mainly due to battery life of the Android device that's forced us to make design compromises with Widgets.

There may be a way to work around this that we're investigating, but I can't say if this will make it into any release. We're looking at alternative approaches to the problem.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby zick » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:59 pm

Sounds good, keep up the good work!

Our Touchpad actually stays plugged in all the time so battery life shouldn't be an issue for us.

If you need someone to test it, let me know.
8-)
zick

Return to Bug Reports