Mobilinc Lite to SmartLinc to Outletlink

Submit feedback, comments, and support help here.

Mobilinc Lite to SmartLinc to Outletlink

Postby FlaParrotHead » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:36 pm

Hello --- new user here with a SmartLinc controller, several OutletLinc, LampLink, and SwitchLink responders.

I have set everything up using the web GUI to the SmartLink and to program simple scenes (re: timers) into the controller to control the lights. For the most part, things are good.

I installed the Insteon Free app for the iPad and it lets me control everything although the GUI is worthless and just too basic, however I can control all of the modules/lights.

I wanted to test with the Mobilinc Lite app to see how this worked with the expectation of then buying the Pro or HD version. ML Lite can see my Smartlinc controller and access it, but it does not seem to be able to control or get any status from the 2 OutletLinc modules which is what I hoped to test the function with.

All Insteon modules are brand new and likely with the most current Rev. Firmware.

Any thoughts? Thanks, B
FlaParrotHead

Re: Mobilinc Lite to SmartLinc to Outletlink

Postby AdminWes » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:23 am

Hi FlaParrotHead,

Keep in mind that the SmartLinc and their app does not do direct device control. All control is through scenes. MobiLinc does scene control as well as direct device control. Check to see if your scenes under MobiLinc->My Scenes are working as expected and match the SmartLinc's control.

If they are, what is the INSTEON ID used to report status for these scenes in the SmartLinc web controller? Is it the OutletLinc INSTEON ID or some other ID?

Usually if you cannot get status of a device it indicates that communication to that device is unreliable or there's a phase bridging issue in the home.

Check to see if these OutletLinc's are used to report status anywhere in the SmartLinc for any scene. That will help narrow in on where the cause of the status disconnect is at.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby FlaParrotHead » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:50 am

@Wes. Thanks for the quick reply. At the present, I am in the process of pulling out old (seldom working) X10 modules and replacing them with Insteon technology. As my initial requirements are basic (for now) with just the need for simple timer-like routines for lights around the house, I started with the SmartLinc controller and am using the Web GUI to program the timed events, this seems to be working as needed (at least for the last 24hrs). I have OutletLinc, SwitchLinc, and LampLinc responders active. Since the iPhone/iPad app from MobiLinc is more feature rich, with a nicer GUI, I was hoping that I'd be able to use that for real-time monitoring and instant-on/off functions of the same devices that the SmartLinc is controlling via timed routines. Eventually, I may move up to an ISY controller, but wanted to start here and see how things progress. Thanks, Bill
FlaParrotHead

Postby AdminWes » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:02 am

Thanks Bill,

I can't recommend the ISY controller enough. There are many great features like true real-time status of your devices, scenes, programs, weather, energy, etc, drag and drop configuration, and a rich programming/macro feature set.
http://mobilincstore.com/system/isy-994i-plm-combo.html

That said, you should be able to get device status from your devices in MobiLinc from your SmartLinc. Check first to make sure the SmartLinc can report status on these devices under their scene controls. If that's working then MobiLinc should be able to do the same.

If you continue to have status issues, I would look at noisy equipment like computer power supplies and proper phase bridging to establish a solid INSTEON network:
http://mobilincstore.com/system/filterlinc.html
http://mobilincstore.com/system/access-point.html

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby FlaParrotHead » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:23 pm

Wes. If you want to "move" this topic to the HD forum to help others, that's fine. So, I have gone ahead and bought the MibiLinc HD app and here is the description of the problem that I am having. Under Scenes, all responders are reporting and responding correctly (so far) however under devices, the two OutletLincs are very sporadic, of working at all (I.e. not reporting status or turning on/off when instructed).

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks. Bill
FlaParrotHead

Postby AdminWes » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:05 pm

Hi Bill,

What you are describing is an INSTEON communication reliability issue.

Start MobiLinc and go to My Devices.
Status should roll in from device to device every 4-5 seconds.
If the OutletLincs are eventually skipped or takes longer than 5-10 seconds for status, then that indicates that there is noise on the powerlines OR the phases are not properly bridged.

Can you confirm that you have your phases properly bridged?
Can you also confirm that noise generators like a computer power supply are either unplugged or filtered during your tests?

Also, please confirm if one of the OutletLincs is set as the scene reporting device for any scene under the SmartLinc web setup.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby FlaParrotHead » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:16 pm

Wes. Thanks for the great support and fast replies, as a product/tech Mgr myself, it is greatly appreciated and shows the value of MobiLinc for the customer/consumer.

I have checked and double checked that the OutletLincs are properly set for scene reporting and sometimes they do, but very sporadic. While I do have UPS and computers on, none are on the outlets that have the SmartLinc or any Insteon responders or gear. Not having the UPS or computers on in this house is not an option.

The SwitchLincs and LampLinks are all reporting perfect and as far as I can tell, all of the devices being used (so far) are on the same phase. I have done the Insteon 4-tap test between the dual-band devices that I have and it appears that things are good. However, I do have one unused dual band LampLinc that I'll try to find an outlet on the other phase to bridge to and see if that helps. I guess it is the inconsistency that I'm seeing, without any other electronics on/off that is confusing me.

Thanks Again, Bill
FlaParrotHead

Postby AdminWes » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:00 am

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the details. Yes, you've identified the issue. With inconsistent status updates from just a couple of devices there is definitely either noise or a phase issue at play here. Could be that the OutletLincs are bad, but that would be low probability. My money is on noise or phase bridging.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby FlaParrotHead » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:01 pm

Wes. At first, I thought that I found the problem. I put an unused Dual-band LampLinc and bridged it with a dual band SwitchLinc in another room. However now, with no changes, there is again inconsistency with the two OutLetLincs. I'll play around in a couple of days with some of my UPS devices (unplugging them and all devices hooked to them, as a test), just to see if they are causing the noise, also with a home entertainment power conditioner. If I can get consistent success that'll certainly help my support of the technology. IF one of the UPS units is causing the noise, what would suggest I install (and where) to filter it. Thanks, Bill
FlaParrotHead

Postby AdminWes » Wed May 01, 2013 11:41 am

Hi Bill,

If you identify the noise culprit, place one of these between the wall outlet and the noisy device:
http://mobilincstore.com/system/filterlinc.html

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Next

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments