Open the garage door automatically as I approach

Share how you want to integrate with Tasker!

Open the garage door automatically as I approach

Postby rcastro » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:47 am

I am doing this already using Tasker Net Location followed by Wifi-Near. I launch a Tasker scene with an live video feed of the garage door and a countdown timer. If I do nothing the garage door will open once I get halfway down my street. I have the option to cancel it if desired. It communicates using Tasker HttpGet and ISY Rest services. It works well.

The problem is, since this is an entrance, I want the communication encrypted using SSL. So far, I have not found a way to get Tasker to use the self signed certificate installed on the ISY. If MobiLinc can negotiate the self-signed warning and use the ISY certificate, this will be a win.

In the interim, I wrote a proxy service to which Tasker sends SHA1 hashed commands. I added in a secret key and timestamp to keep the hash data unique and obfuscated. The proxy service matches the hash to an ISY command. It then logs into ISY over an SSL connection (errors ignored) and sends the command. The whole relay adds about 350 milliseconds of overhead, but makes me feel better. I would love to get rid of the relay once this plugin is available.

If you need any testers let me know.
rcastro

Re: Open the garage door automatically as I approach

Postby AdminWes » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:31 pm

Hi rcastro,

Thanks for the details. Yes, MobiLinc will be/is able able to issue commands via SSL using the self-signed cert in the ISY. Just like it does today when talking to ISY's with the default or self-signed certs.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby ryanwagner » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:25 am

rcastro - I contemplated doing a similar approach to you essentially using a proxy service. Since you seem pretty technical I'll give you a rundown on what I did (hopefully Wes doesn't mind). All you need to do is download cURL for Android, and then set Tasker to run a shell script like this:

Code: Select all
curl https://ISY_URL/rest/vars/set/2/5/1 --insecure

That REST call sets a variable in my set up, but it sounds like you already have the URLs you need. The key here is the "--insecure" flag which tells cURL to ignore the SSL certificate warning.

The Mobilinc integration will be so much nicer, but this gets me by in the meantime without needing to use another machine as a proxy.
ryanwagner

Postby cjenifer123 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:39 am

Thanks for the information
cjenifer123

Postby mwareman » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:41 am

FYI, you don't need curl anymore. Tasker HTTP GET action now has the ability to accept insecure certificates.
mwareman

Return to Tasker Integration