Garage door labeling and better widget?

Submit your new Feature Requests and Questions here!

Garage door labeling and better widget?

Postby jeff000 » Sun May 26, 2013 1:53 pm

Would it be possible to call the garage door controls open and closed rather than on and off?

Maybe a widget that shows the status of the door and also acts as a remote opener/closer?
jeff000

Re: Garage door labeling and better widget?

Postby AdminWes » Sun May 26, 2013 5:19 pm

Jeff000,

Real-time widget status just isn't possible with the way Android has their widget code supported. We are working on an alternative to achieve the same effect.

If you pick your IO Linc status or trigger sensor under My Devices and go to the Advanced Options for that device, you can rename the status and commands how you see fit.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby btreinders » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:37 am

Android does not support real-time widget status? Really? Isn't that the point of a widget? Please explain why Mobilinc cannot do this. Active Home Vista has widgets with status support and it's free. I use that for garage door status but I cannot open the garage door with it. Has there been progress on this? Would love to have an open garage door icon when it's open and a closed icon when it's closed and be able to just press that widget to activate the garage door.

Thanks!
btreinders

Postby AdminWes » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:10 pm

Hi btreinders,

Just to clarify, the Android OS does support status, but in order to do status the Android way, it's a polling mechanism that only fires every 15min or so. Not exactly real-time. If you tap the icon ON/OFF we could should status right there during the action, however, it wouldn't update until you interacted with the icon which isn't desirable either.

What we want to offer is a real-time widget status that just works 24/7 real-time without impacting your battery with a costly polling implementation.

This is something we believe is possible to offer and we are continuing to work toward this solution.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby mwareman » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:31 pm

You can implement realtime widgets with Tasker and AutoRemote. This is true 'push' when devices change (using Googles C2DM structure), but requires a seperate network rule on ISY per device.

I'm very surprised this is not in MobiLinc Connect for Android users yet - and a feature only for IOS users. Its a feature the Google introduced several years ago now. Its certainly much more efficient to use push rather than polling.
mwareman

Postby btreinders » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:29 am

Any progress on this yet? Not happy that I paid for this app and never even use it. I really don't understand your thoughts in keeping the iOS app light years ahead of Android when Android phones out sell iPhones in the US and over 3 to 1 worldwide.

Yes, I could use Tasker now with the plugin (thanks!) but even then, response time is quicker sending a signal from a widget to it's program (Active Home Vista) running on my server that in turn sends an X10 command to the ISY, which in turn does something I want it to like open the garage door.

Also, if I use Tasker, it's much faster to just use the REST interface of the ISY rather than the Mobilinc app or Mobilinc widgets or the Mobilinc Tasker plugin to do the same function.
btreinders

Return to Feature Requests and Questions