GeoFence inconsistency

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Re: GeoFence inconsistency

Postby BlackSheep » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:55 pm

Thanks Wes! I will signup for the Connect service demo and keep my fingers crossed for some improvement.
BlackSheep

Postby npsit2 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:46 pm

Although my iPhone's location setting works quite well, consistently triggering a notification every time I cross the ~100m geo fence from my house, my ISY99i doesn't respond promptly, if at all. There seems to be a significant delay between the notification showing up on my phone (immediately after getting within 100m from my home) and when ISY responds to the following program to open the garage door. If I wait long enough, it eventually works but the response is quite slow.

Is there an iPhone setting, Mobilinc Pro setting or an ISY setting that will give me a better (more rapid) response to crossing the 100m boundary?

Then
Run Program 'G.Door Open' (if)
Else
- No Actions

Then
Set 'Garage Door' Fast On
Else
- No Actions

Postby AdminWes » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:00 pm

Hi npsit2,

The best case scenario is if you use MobiLinc Connect.

If you use a direct IP connection or the ISY Portal, then there may be other reasons for the delay. Especially if you are using ISY Portal. The ISY Portal isn't our product and isn't compatible with all features of MobiLinc including geo-fencing and variables.

If using just a direct IP, then the HTTPS handshake couldn't be causing a delay of around 20 seconds as MobiLinc waits for the ISY to handshake with it. To solve this, you'll need to install a HTTPS cert in the ISY with a key strength of 1024 or lower to speed up the HTTPS connection. By default the HTTPS cert is 512 or 1024, so out of the box it's reasonable unless it's been changed it to 2048.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby npsit2 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:30 pm

Wes,

I am currently using direct IP and can access my ISY via Mobilic anywhere but I don't see anything in the ISY setup or Mobilinc setup for "HTTPS cert" or where you can change the "key strength". Where is this?
npsit2

Postby AdminWes » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:40 pm

If you haven't changed this, then I wouldn't touch it and leave it as the default.

When the geo-fence trips, the alert is shown and then MobiLinc tries both the HTTP and HTTPS paths at the same time to reach the ISY. Which ever one responds first is the path MobiLinc uses to update the variable.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby npsit2 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:05 pm

Wes,

I still don't understand why Mobilinc waits so long to respond to a geo fence notification when I can select any Program in Mobilinc and get an immediate response (with WiFi turned off and only working via cellular). It doesn't seem to be a ISY polling delay but instead a delay in Mobilinc. Is there some special iOS setting that "helps" Mobilinc recognize and respond to the geo fence notification sooner?
npsit2

Postby AdminWes » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:13 pm

Keep in mind that once you are on the program page, MobiLinc is reusing an active connection back to your ISY. No handshake here required. And yes, it is instant.

For geo-fencing, MobiLinc needs to startup from background, reconnect to the ISY on either HTTP and HTTPS. If HTTPS, then there's the handshake delay. Once connected, MobiLinc can issue the variable update.

Once you see the notification fire, MobiLinc has already kicked off the network requests to connect to your ISY. The response speed depends on the network conditions and HTTPS handshake at that moment.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby jmassucci » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:30 pm

Hi all,

I've experienced similar results with the inconsistency. Seems to be definitely related to the iOS location. Programming of my state variables and ISY work great when I force/set the variable. I've had best luck when I have Apple Maps running for a few before I cross the boundary... seems to work. Otherwise pretty much never works. There are tons of homes with wifi near the boundary. Not sure what else to do! If anyone comes up with a solve, would love to hear it! Could it be a bug in iOS10?
jmassucci

Postby AdminWes » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:45 am

Hi jmassucci,

Yes, any app that turns on the GPS chip will give you excellent pin-point accuracy allowing iOS to detect boundary crossing for your geo-fences in MobiLinc.

Definitely update your iOS to iOS 10.3 if you haven't already.

One suggestion is if you have a car charger for your iPhone, leaving the iPhone plugged into the charger will help iOS deliver your geo-fence crossings to MobiLinc quicker as well.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby paterson » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:00 pm

I'm sure this is unlikely to get to someone who's had success with this given that most people who don't have issues won't read the forum info, but has anyone had consistent success with geofence or ibeacon with mobilinc to trigger some home devices? i was about to buy an ibeacon, but i think i'll hold off for now,
Steve
paterson

PreviousNext

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments