Dual Thermostats

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Dual Thermostats

Postby andyf0 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:21 am

Wes,

I just added a second Venstar Thermostat to switch temperature control to the bedroom while I'm sleeping. Both thermostats show up fine in Mobilinc HD and the iPhone version however the "HEATING" status doesn't show for either thermostat when the heat is on. I assume "COOLING" wouldn't show either but it's winter now so I can't tell for sure.
andyf0

Re: Dual Thermostats

Postby AdminWes » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:16 pm

Hi Andy,

You may be seeing an ISY limitation. The ISY currently does not query the thermostat for the Heating or Cooling status. It must be told by the Venstar when the Venstar turns on Heat or Cool. So, for example, if you reboot your ISY, the ISY won't know the status of the Venstar until the Venstar kicks on the Heat or Cool. One way around this is to turn the Venstar Off. Wait 5 minutes or so and turn the Venstar Mode back to Heat or Auto. When the Venstar turns the heat on and you see the Red LED light up you should see in the Admin Console and MobiLinc the Venstar now reporting HEATING or HEAT ON.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby andyf0 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:42 pm

Wes, it's been quite cool here in Houston and the heating has been running constantly. I do understand what you're saying, my Cool Control shows blank in the ISY since the AC hasn't run since the last reboot. But the Heat Control shows on when the heating is on and there's no indication in MobiLinc that the heat is on. It was working with the single thermostat but since I added a second the HEAT status does not show.
andyf0

Postby AdminWes » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:21 pm

Hi Andy,

Check the main thermostat device in the Java console, what does it report for the Heat/Cool State?

Also, with one of the recent beta firmware update (not sure if it was 3.1.10, 12, or 13) there were instructions from UDI to remove and add back in your Thermostat adapter. I just did it here and let the ISY auto-detect my thermostat adapter. Now, with the latest firmware I can query the thermostat for all status including The Heat/Cool State.

What's interesting is that even through I can see the ISY query for Heat/Cool state it does not update the Cool, Heat or Fan nodes with the updated status. MobiLinc is only looking at the main device, so if you see the ISY able to query for Heat/Cool State on the main device you should then see the same info being reported in MobiLinc.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby andyf0 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:49 pm

Hi Wes, the Java console works correctly and Heat On shows on the Main node when the heating is on and off when it's off. The Heat Control node also shows on when it's on and off when it's off.

I have removed and re-added my main thermostat after the version update as instructed but just added the second one this weekend. My ISY is at 3.1.13, but I think you're missing the point. MobiLinc worked fine with one thermostat, it's after I added a second one that the heat (and presumably cool) status is missing on both thermostats.

Also, query is not the issue here as the Venstar will xmit it's status on each of the nodes when they change. Polling is not needed.

I love it on the iPad when you can see both thermostats on the same page, kudos for that.

Edit: For some reason it's working fine now. Sorry for the false alarm.
andyf0

Postby AdminWes » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:58 pm

Hi Andy,

Very good. Not sure what happened to get it all synced up. I always go back to the Java console if I think something should be showing in MobiLinc and it isn't. If I see it in the ISY Java console and not MobiLinc then there might be a problem, otherwise the two get their data from the same source and should be in sync.

Let me know if you experience this issue again and maybe we can troubleshoot what's happening.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments